The following is extracted from Filey Sailing Club Members Handbook 1986
There had been a lttle sailing in Filey Bay prior to the formation of the club, and names that stand out are those of Bert and Trevor Winship, Paul and Roger Goodson, Mary Charnock and Ernie Marshall. These were the people who initiated a meeting, held in February 1951, to form Filey Sailing Club.
Twelve people attended this meeting and those still in the club a few years ago were made honarary life members.
The fleets at the beginning consisted of 3 Cadets, another dinghy of similar size and performance, an Essex One Design, a 12 foot National and a 14 foot clinker boat.
At first there was no clubhouse. Changing meant rolling up one's trousers and putting shoes and socks under the foredeck, a far cry from today's routine of wet suits and dry suits. The first race lasted for one exciting leg after which, all four boats collided, resulting in a capsize. With no life jackets or buoyancy in the boats, the race ended abruptly.
One thing the early days could guarantee was a full turnout. The 'club night' was Friday and members used to go sailing and return to theFoord's Hotel in Queen Street which was the club's HQ for several years. The successor to this club night is the present Wednesday evening session.
In 1952 the club obtained the use of a nissen hut for its premises. However, this was short-lived for in the East coast storms of the followinf January the building was wrecked and most of the dinghies inside were badly damaged. Nearly all the boats were repaired but became quickly outdated and were replaced by the GP 14 and the International 14 classes, although Cadets still continued.
A new clubhouse was erected on the site of the old nissen hut . Built by club members for a cost of £150, this structure now forms our present racing station. Organising racing fromm the Coble landing was difficult, and the club soon moved along the beach to Arndale. A concrete slipway had been previously built by the contractor laying the sewer out to the Brigg and this was immediately put to good use. Estimates as to its life vary, but it remains a vital part of our present day premisies.
In 1956 the programme consisted of a series of five class and handicap races together with aditional races for the Johnson trophy, RNLI pennant, Victoria Cup and the Open Meeting. Neither the GP nor the International 14 foot thrived and it was only when the Enterprise made its debut in 1958 that a strong class developed and regularly turned out 20-30 starters. several young men travelled round the Open Meeting circuit and the Enterprise Northern championships were held twice at the club during this period. Joe Hood was the club's most succesful helmsman, being Enterprise Northern Champion and also cottish Champion on seperate occasions.
Another class to appear at this time was the Osprey, but it did not develop quite as quickly as the Enterprise. Club membership continued to expand and the clubhouse was doubled in size by adding a ground floorand creating a two storey structure. Upstairs was used a club room with changing rooms below, whilst the officer of the day was provided with a small hut, perched some way above on the cliffs. Dinghies were parked on the bottom landing, in Arndale or on the cliff side.
Expansion continued and, in 1968, new premises wer buil on the cliff side and the road leading up was enlarged to provide dinghy parking as well as access.
The increased number of boats on the water meant that the question of safety boats had to be taken more seriously and in 1961 a Bass boat was built.. the advent of fibreglass brought with it a whole range of craft suitable for rescue work. The club now uses 13' Dorys with powerful outboard motors as the rescue fleet and a "Pebble" complete with cuddy as a committee boat.
The clubs present dinghy class racing fleets consist of Lasers, Enterprises and Streakers. There is also a General Handicap fleet with a fast growing windsurfing section which has its own racing programme.
From 1986 Yearbook Filey Sailing Club
Webmaster note : This article is seriously out of date and should any members wish to add their own memoirs or more up to date stories or references please forward them to the webmaster who will gladly add them to this page.